Season 2 Episode 8 – Batwoman’s abilities are tested like never before, while Alice’s search for Kate continues; Sophie and Jacob set their sights on Coryana; Luke and Mary contend with an unexpected guest.
What I Liked
1. Seeing Alice and Ryan locked away in a cell together was certainly a mixture of tense, funny and heartbreaking scenes all at the same time.
2. In return for her information on Ocean, Ryan is told to choose her reward, Kate Kane or the Desert Rose, she chooses the Rose. Safiyah then gives Alice a similar choice, Ocean or Kate, in what was a pretty upsetting scene, Alice chooses Kate as she stabs Ocean in the chest.
3. Julia returns, and just in time as Mary and Luke are being attacked by one of Safiyahs “minions”. As the pair struggle, Julia enters the room, throwing a knife and hitting her right in the chest.
4. Safiyahs knife has been in contact with the Desert Rose, so when it entered Oceans chest, it was already healing him. He is alive, but Alice does not know yet.
5. After blood was shed from one of Safiyahs people onto Ryan’s flower, a Desert Rose has grown, the clock is ticking to save Ryan’s life.
What I Disliked
1. The opening scenes of Ryan and Alice both writing in their diaries to Kate is the most cringe thing this show has done yet. Very unnecessary. A few episodes ago Ryan did not even know who Kate was and now she is “inspired” nah.
2. I’ve now lost count how many times Jacob Kane has been wiped out and then taken hostage, it’s getting repetitive and boring.
Harrowing scenes as Safiyah tells Alice she never had Kate. At the same time Julia tells Mary and Luke that they found Kates remains. Alice’s screams went right through me, her reaction was perfect and really shows us how much she truly does care about her family. As Alice’s rage continues, she burns down every Desert Rose on the island.
I have to give credit where credit is due, the standout this week will be given to Safiyah. I’ve struggled to understand and appreciate her character since the beginning of this season. But now I’m starting to see how complex and twisted she really is.
Definitely one of the strongest episodes we’ve had this season. Apart from some minor mishaps I really enjoyed the episode and I can actually say I’m looking forward to next week to see more advancement in the storyline.