Season 1 Episode 9 – Jen finds herself in trouble with the law and struggles to pick up the pieces of her life.
Please note, our reviews are based on likes and dislikes. These contain major spoilers. If you haven’t already watched the episode we would recommend that you click off the article, and come back once you have watched the episode. Enjoy!
What I Liked
1. Usually, in these types of shows, Jen would be facing 1,000 years in jail for that because it tends to be overdramatic. I like the fact she got a tag put on her leg which allowed her to be free. I do also like the fact they jumped straight into putting her into a cell. We know the history of the Hulk, it makes sense why the perception would change.
2. I don’t know whether I like the “Intelligencia” meet-up or not but it does make sense. It’s clearly targeted at a small minority of fans who deliberately hate women superheroes just because they’re female. This is how frustrating it can be when people’s values and opinions are so far twisted it’s unreal. This scene was needed.
3. Abomination turns up at the event as a “guest speaker”. Jen shows up shortly after and Todd injects himself with the blood Josh stole then turns into a Hulk. Tatiana walks in, Abomination protects Jen, Bruce walks in and all hell just breaks loose. Jen then properly breaks the fourth wall, goes to the Disney+ menu, and enters the Avengers Assemble show… it’s weird but it’s entertaining.
4. She-Hulk weirdly goes to the writer’s room where they write the script for the show. Yeah, bear with me, she wants to speak to Kevin Feige so she beats up his entire security detail. It’s very weird but it’s definitely unique, I’ll give it that.
5. I love how the Kevin robot mentioned the CGI team, that’s actually hilarious.
6. Jen seemingly confirmed we’re going to be getting a season 2. This is really interesting, more so the fact they’re basically confirming this through the fourth wall.
7. “That’s what Hulk does, we smash things. Bruce smashed buildings. I smash fourth walls and bad endings, and sometimes Matt Murdoch”. Absolutely brilliant man. Nicely played.
8. Bruce has a kid now. Skaar has finally been introduced into the MCU at the family table with also Matt and Jen seemingly a thing now. I’m intrigued to see where it goes.
What I Disliked
I don’t like the fact after Abomination’s remarkable redemption, and also protecting Jen he’s going back to prison for 10 years. That just feels like an absolute waste of an arc. Wong does turn up at the end to help but it still felt wasted.
“That’s what Hulk does, we smash things. Bruce smashed buildings. I smash fourth walls and bad endings, and sometimes Matt Murdoch”. Absolutely brilliant man. Nicely played.
It’s Jen who takes it for me. When the screen paused and the Disney+ menu hit, I genuinely thought the show had crashed, I was kind of hoping she’d go into Shang-Chi but never mind, she was phenomenal this episode and I’m glad they’ve already discussed a season 2.
I have to admit, the writers have been an amazing job with the finale. It’s definitely something we superhero fans have never seen before. It was unique and very well done. The fourth wall breaking is something I have complained about before but in the way it was done here, I really did enjoy it.