Season 6 Episode 17 – When Lex Luthor appears by Nyxly’s side, Supergirl and the team must deal with the emotional fallout of facing their two biggest foes at the same time; Alex makes plans for the perfect proposal to Kelly, but work keeps getting in the way.
What I Liked
1. That was a pleasant surprise after Lex tries to worm his way to Nyxly’s trust. She actually manages to turn against him after she finds out it was in fact him that sent Kara to the Phantom Zone. It’s short-lived but I’m glad it started off this way. Later on, though we do learn that Lex is actually in love with her, this was another unexpected twist in this.
2. Esme continues to be super adorable. Alex tries to book Al’s bar and discovers it’s actually surprisingly booked (it never is). She’s planning to propose to Kelly, and it turns out that Kelly had the exact same idea and was the one to book Al’s along with Esme’s help. Kelly goes on to propose until Lex and Nyxyl show up and ruin what was a solid moment until then. Despite the same awful scene happening for the third time, afterward, Kelly manages to go through with her proposal which is super cute and lovely.
What I Disliked
1. Same story. Again. This NEEDS to stop, the writing is lazy. Nyxyl vs Super Friends, in this instance fair enough Supergirl and Co get the upper hand until Lex shows up. The same premise remains. A brief fight and Nyxyl escapes. It’s not entertaining when the same scene with a slightly different formula happens for like 6 episodes in a row.
2. J’onn uses the Courage Totem and goes back to where the White Martians invaded Mars. This scene was so underdone compared to what Kara and Nyxyl went through to get the totem in the first place that it undermines the initial element of gaining the totem. More lazy writing is involved. This scene should have been longer and more impactful, not just a 30-second scene.
3. Remember in point 1 where I mentioned the same scene has happened multiple times? It happened again. I’m close to just giving up. It brings me back to an example of where The Flash had Zoom as the villain. When those two met, you feared for Barry. You were genuinely terrified of what Zoom was going to do, now you’ve got this trash villain and every time she and Supergirl clash it becomes less impactful to the point I do not care anymore. If she doesn’t kill Kara in the finale I’m going to be severely disappointed.
4. IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!!! Three damn times, THREE!! This is the most stressed I’ve been watching an episode in my entire life. This time Kara, J’onn, and Brainiac manage to actually best Nyxyl. Lex manages to grab her and escape. Again. Again. Again! I’m sick of it. Same scene, different formula. Trash.
5. Oh, Andrea’s powers…lol. I forgot about this. Because oh, yeah, they only use them when it fits the narrative. She’s used her powers now twice in 17 episodes this season. It serves zero purpose and when it happens you just realize how poor Andrea’s character development actually is.
I usually tell myself that a favourite moment needs to be given in every episode but I’m afraid in this instance no moment was my favourite. I had 2 likes, granted, but those were clutching and didn’t even stand out to me in the slightest. You know it’s a poor state when I cannot even consider a favourite moment. If I had to give one then I guess the scene between Lena and Kara was one of the better shots.
This is difficult, because again as stated multiple times… no moments or characters stood out to me. However, the rules are we have to give a standout so in this episode I will give it to Esme. Purely because of how adorable she is, any scene she’s in instantly lights up the moment. Her excitement when Kelly was proposed to was nice and she made the scene much better.
A truly horrific episode with repetitive action scenes that serve no impact or purpose. I really do believe the showrunners have completely given up with this show. It reflects when the same scenes are happening over and over again with nothing to go by. The villain is horrendously bad, perhaps maybe the least impactful villain that’s existed in the entire Arrowverse.
Promo For Next Episode
Story - 1
Action - 3
Characters - 4
Entertainment - 2
A truly horrific episode with repetitive action scenes that serve no impact or purpose. I really do believe the showrunners have completely given up with this show. It reflects when the same scenes are happening over and over again with nothing to go by. The villain is horrendously bad, perhaps maybe the least impactful villain that's existed in the entire Arrowverse.