Season 6 Episode 5 “Astra gets a chance to learn real magic, while Sara meets Bishop and learns what he intends.”
What I Liked?
1. Astra is dealing with being back on Earth instead of Hell, she’s learning to deal with real-world issues, like lack of money, racist neighbors, and lack of food, power, and electricity. When Astra came back to the real world, she wasn’t prepared, and typical Constantine didn’t even notice.
2. Sara finally meets the alien who captured her, he introduces himself as “Bishop” and he’s got the medicine to help Sara with her poison issue that she’s having, she drinks it and passes out, she awakens and Bishop tells her his plan, essentially create a new life with enhanced humans in space, with Sara teaching them how to fight and survive.
3. Constantine tells Astra about a spell in which her mother created back in the day if Constantine was ever to go off the rails and needed to be stopped, this spell would get rid of all the magic in the area, Astra does this spell and everything goes back to normal in Constantine’s home.
What I Disliked?
1. While I can understand the frustration Astra must towards Constantine, her believing Crowley and switching him with Constantine in the painting was so bad. She didn’t even need to do this and it was unneeded. This annoying to me watching the episode.
2. For being this big shot in Hell, Astra is far too easy to manipulate, she would have known about Crowley and yet she just walks in and starts believing him? Slightly bad character development.
3. Not only does she change Constantine, but she also proceeds to change every single member of the Legends team (except Sara), like the amount of trust the team has given you and you turn around and do this?
4. I didn’t like how the episode turned into animation halfway through the episode, it just takes away so much from the live-action aspect of the show. This part let the episode down in my opinion.
5. While it was obviously needed to further bond the relationship between Constantine and Astra, I disliked Constantine losing his magic and beginning from scratch. This was needed but I really disliked it.
Astra gets manipulated to take a human soul, she gets her racist neighbor to come over to “buy a lamp”, she can’t go through with taking his soul but Crowley does and kills him, turns on Astra, and causes chaos for the rest of the episode.
Astra, while I disliked most of the episode centered around her, she did have some character development that was needed.
The first half of the episode was going well until the episode decided to jump to animated form. This was when the episode went downhill and was slightly boring for the rest of it, the episode didn’t truly do anything for me after the animation portion of the episode.
Photo: Legends of Tomorrow.