Season 3 Episode 8 “This review will contain spoilers below.”
What I Liked?
1. I like the direction they went with Tim at the beginning of this episode, him being a detectives son who knows how to be a detective and how to shoot, how he’s studied The Flying Grayson’s, Robin, and Nightwing and noticed a similar move in each of the persona’s he was studying to learn that Dick is in fact Nightwing and I love the fact that he just straight up said: “I want to be the next Robin”.
2. Connor and Blackfire finish up in bed before being caught by Kory while she’s having another vision, Connor superspeeds out of the room while Kory begins to use her powers towards Blackfire until Blackfire uses some kind of ability to make Kory stop and wake up from the vision. It seems like Blackfire is feeding energy from Connor while using something to make Kory see the visions she’s having.
3. This next point has me very curious as to what or who is giving these visions to Kory and what exactly they mean. We see that she has one from the previous like point but this time it’s weird, she is in a theater, she sees a pram with a baby in it and a woman screaming “my baby”, when Kory looks at the baby her eyes glow green as does the babies eyes, is this baby Kory? When she awakens, Blackfire and Connor tell her she’s been circling the same spot.
4. This next scene I really liked, Jason is lost, not literally but you can see that he’s lost mentally, his mind is broken, he’s depressed and broken, he’s making a couple be Dawn and Hank, when the man leaves, the woman pretending to be Dawn while naked, is trying to honestly talk to Jason, she truly believed she could speak with him. This scene proved that Jason needs help, this scene was amplified by Curran Walters’s performance.
5. Tim’s determination and ambition to become Robin, to prove to Dick that he has what it takes is unbelievable, this episode delivered so much character development for Tim and I absolutely loved it. He tells Dick straight that he’ll find Scarecrow and Jason on his own and he’ll show him how it’s done, although Tim does manage to find them both, it backfires (pun intended) when Crane without hesitation shoots Tim in the back and leads the Titans into a trap to make Starfire use her powers to blow the pipe up and dose the entire population of Gotham with his formula.
What I Disliked?
1. Gar, while I understand the logic behind his motives, but leaving the Titans to go out on his own to try to speak with Jason was such a dumb idea, especially after Hank doing the same and ending up dead, Barbara going into a trap set up by Lady Vic, Dick going alone with Crane and Red Hood and ending up shot by a sniper, just no, such a dumb decision on Gar’s part.
2. I disliked the scene with Crane and his mother, it was weird, creepy, and just felt out of place in the episode, it took me away from the episode for a split second, I’ve come to find Crane a tiny bit annoying as of late. He needs to do something spectacular to get me invested in him again.
The entire scene between Dick and Jason in the tunnels, this scene you could literally feel the emotion from both actors which made this scene my favorite, Jason begging Dick to bring him home, to be a Titan again. He says killing Hank was purely the drugs and in a sense it was, Dick agrees he can come home if he brings in Crane, while Crane is listening. Dick then explains the situation to the Titans with most of them refusing the offer except for Gar who takes Dick’s side and mentions that they brought him back when he was used as a weapon.
I have to give it to Tim, he was so great this episode, his character received some major development as well as proving and showcasing his ambition and determination, although it did lead to him being shot, it’s still a huge point for me.
Overall a solid episode for character development with characters such as Tim Drake, Jason Todd, and Blackfire receiving development. Although the action side of things let the episode down, the character development and story alone fulfilled me greatly.
Photo: Titans Season 3 Episode 8 “home”.