Season 1 Episode 11 – Clark makes a startling discovery about Morgan Edge.
What I Liked
01. It’s great that we’re actually seeing the backstory for Cal. Even if we already know it, it just connects us to Cal that little bit more. Especially seeing how the Fortress of Solitude was initially formed.
2. The iconic scene where Superman runs around into a back alley and rips his shirt happened and the OG suit returns to the show – it’s little touches like this that make the show so special.
3. One of the main things I did want to see within the show was Clark’s employment at The Daily Planet, obviously the timeline wasn’t befitting for the story – however, due to the fact the this is a backstory episode, we’re getting to see that. Also, on the back of that, we’re getting to see how Clark and Lois became close which is lovely to see.
4. After the interview between Lois and Superman, Lois speaks to her producer about being in love with Clark and she’s not into Superman. It was incredibly cute, especially the fact that Superman was listening to everything. It must be nice being able to be 10 steps ahead of everything at all times. An adorable scene, that just again, I’ve said it before, it just makes the show special.
5. Now this episode just got interesting. It seems as though Morgan Edge is orchestrating everything and taking Clark back through his time on Earth pretty much from the beginning. I was NOT expecting that, that’s for sure.
What I Disliked
1. The final scene kind of ruined the episode for me. I did not like the fact that Superman caved as easily as he did. I know it’s obviously a ploy but it’s just super predictable, even if Superman isn’t the type to do that.
2. The way the episode ends just screams predictable and I really hope I am wrong. Clark will turn, alienate his family – then at the very last minute, he will turn on Edge. I’m calling it here, and that’s what I disliked about this episode more than anything. I will either revisit this review after the last episode and be right or wrong, but either way, I do hope the next few episodes aren’t just Clark screwing everybody over.
3. Temp VFX? How did they manage to screw that up?!
Adam Rayner (Morgan Edge) deserves huge props for his scene in the Fortress when he pushes Superman once more to join him. You can tell his anguish when he’s rejected again, even going as far as destroying the thing that keeps Clark’s father as a hologram. A super intense scene.
I’m giving this one to Morgan Edge. Despite his common villain aspects, he was still fantastic in this episode even if he wasn’t in it a lot.
This week’s episode was great, but for me personally, I did not like the way it ended and it kind of flung it back a bit. Overall, the flashback scenes and getting to know Clark in more detail were done fantastically well by the showrunners and writers.