Season 1 Episode 3 – Sam, Bucky and an unlikely ally venture to a criminal safe haven in the Indonesian archipelago in search of information about the Super Soldier serum.
What I Liked
1. I love how the moment Bucky walks into Zemo’s cell he immediately starts saying the code which puts the Winter Soldier under control. It’s just hilarious that he knows Bucky is “fixed”, but tries it anyway.
2. Bucky explains to Sam they need to break Zemo out. Obviously, Sam is massively against it, but great humorous dialogue happens, and then Bucky begins explaining to Sam about his “plan” to break him out. Turns out, the plan he’s talking about he’s literally already done it. I’m really glad Zemo is back, to be honest.
3. I’m really enjoying the way the writers acknowledge the history of the MCU with the references to past movies and characters. It brings them back to life, and they did it again with the UN building explosion, Red Skull and others. It just adds more authenticity to the show when it references points throughout the movies. It’s something they’ve done exceptionally well with this as they did with WandaVision.
4. It’s funny how quickly Sam gets outed from his persona by Zemo by just one phone call from Sarah. Selby, the Power Broker is then shot and killed. The entire city is now hunting for Zemo, Sam and Bucky after a bounty is placed on their heads. As they’re trying to exit, people begin shooting at that until eventually…Sharon turns up and essentially saves them.
5. Zemo has requested that Bucky becomes the Winter Soldier as they visit Madripoor. When they’re in the bar and Zemo tells him to attack is just incredible. The way Bucky manhandled the guys attacking him was brilliant. He literally clotheslined one of them. Amazing.
6. After the three investigate the doc, guys approach Sharon who is keeping watch. We get to see the scenes from the trailers where she just destroys multiple dudes with almost pure ease. I hope she remains in the series for the remainder.
7. Ayo shows up at the very end and asks Bucky for Zemo. If you don’t know who Ayo is, she’s the one that told Black Widow to move in Civil War. I loved hearing the Wakandan music, and I’m glad it’s being crossed over into this.
What I Disliked
Nothing to report this week.
After Zemo kills the doc, the container they’re in is blown up by an RPG. Zemo escapes, and the other 3 find themselves pinned down with a lot of gunfire. Until Zemo, with mask fully on walks over the containers and just smoothly saves their lives. This scene was epic, the walk with the mask in hand, oh my!
Baron Zemo, no question. I actually thoroughly enjoyed seeing him return. I kind of know he’s going to stab Bucky and Sam in the back at some point but to be honest, I hope not. I like the fact they’re all working together right now, it brings for some fantastic entertainment.
Of the 3 episodes that have launched so far, this one was definitely my favourite as of now. It had everything from action, humour, cameos, returns and more. This episode has shaped the entire season going forward, and I can’t wait for the final half!