Season 3 Episode 7 “This review will have spoilers below”
What I Liked?
1. We get to see just how cunning Crane actually he, he knows what Jason did with the drugs, he mixes something into the formula which Jason inhales, immediately making him cough and eventually passing out. I liked this because it shows that Crane doesn’t actually care for Jason, he’s just using him as a tool to gain notoriety for himself.
2. This next point was simply, Oracle. I love the change that they did with Oracle in the show, instead of it being Barbara, Oracle is a fully-fledged AI system that allows Barbara to do everything that she wants to, this is what Dick and Barbara use to find Crane.
3. This next point fully got me thinking about this one quote, it comes from Blackfire when she’s speaking about her father to Starfire, she mentions that he used to say that if you had a plan, it would be 51 percent good, but still 49% bad, she was right, this was a fantastic quote.
4. This next point also shows just how smart and ahead of the Titans Crane actually is, he’s managed to hack into Oracle and lead Dick to a van in the middle of nowhere, Superboy joins Dick at the van, when they search it they find a man with a modified bomb in his chest with a short amount of time left, Superboy can’t defuse it so without hesitation he throws Dick away with one hand a second before the van explodes. This was another huge scene for Conor.
5. This next point was something I did not see coming at all, it comes when Starfire and Blackfire go to a crime boss’s home to get her to help with Crane and Red Hood, the crime boss who was a mother, asks Starfire to bring her son home and she’ll help. Starfire brings her son home and the crime boss instantly shoots her son in the head for working with the FBI, Starfire then burns her alive from the inside out, I was speechless at this scene.
What I Disliked?
1. Another episode where I wasn’t a fan of Barbara at all, the actor was great but I just think it was something to do with the writing which made me not even be interested in her at all this episode, I hope this changes next episode.
2. I felt like Red Hood was wasted in this episode. Like he was there but for the majority of the episode he was literally tied to a chair by Crane, and then he drove off with Crane at the end, didn’t even try to stop the Titans or anything, I just didn’t like this at all.
My favorite moment once again came from Blackfire, this time it was her suiting up and joining the Titans on the raid of Crane’s base of operations. the fighting in this scene from Nightwing was amazing and it was truly Nightwing. Starfire and Blackfire teaming up to take down bad guys, Superboy and Krypto working together and Beast Boy gaining a new power by only transforming his fist into a claw?
I was once again stuck on choosing a standout character and as much as I want to say Conor, I think I’m just going to have to say Blackfire, this character is absolutely perfect and she killed it this episode with her fighting, her suit, and this was expanded on by the actor, Damaris Lewis.
Honestly, I really enjoyed this episode, however, it wasn’t the best episode but overall it was really solid, the story, action, and characters were all superb. This episode gave enough time to each character as well as keeping the focus on the story.
Photo: Titans “51 percent”.