Season 1 Episode 9 “The watcher gathers heroes all across the multiverse for one final battle against “ultra-vison”.
What I Liked?
1. We see that The Watcher is going on a recruitment drive from different universes and different times, he takes Peggy from the beginning of The Winter Soldier movie, Starlord T’Challa from saving a young Peter Quill, Gamora who killed Thanos and is friends with Tony Stark, Killmonger from moments he’s going to be stopped by Pepper Potts, Party Thor, and finally Sorcerer Supreme Doctor Strange. The Watcher names them The Guardians of the Multiverse.
2. Ultron arrives in front of the newly-formed Guardians. Thor being Thor straight away attacks Ultra-vision, Strange multiples Thor’s hammer instead of himself (as seen in Infinity War), Carter immediately goes on the offensive, while Starlord manages to steal the soul stone.
3. Gamora is about to catch the soul stone and destroy it but Black Widow steals it, the Guardians are attacking Ultra-vision, and he gets somewhat beaten badly which forces him to utilize the time stone. This thrown-together team actually works as a team which was surprising, they hold him down while Gamora tries to destroy the soul stone but it can only be destroyed in the machine on her world.
4. Ultra-vision is showing just how much power he truly has when he’s slowly destroying the protection spell that Strange has cast on the rest of the team. We get such a great team-up between Carter and Black Widow who manages to inject and upload Zola into Ultra-vision. I absolutely love this team-up.
5. At the beginning of the series, The Watcher would not do this, but this slightly reminded me of the time Dr. Fate transported Black Canary to another world that lost their Black Canary in Injustice a DC story. We get to see this play out in this episode when The Watcher allows Black Widow who was alone on her world appear and make a new home on the world where Loki invaded earlier in the season.
What I Disliked?
1. In the zombie episode, they portrayed zombie Wanda as a powerful being, which is understandable, but in this episode, they completely destroyed that when she attacked Ultra-vision and he destroyed the world she was on. Like, the connection that Wanda and Vision have is huge, she’d know his face, no matter if she was a zombie or not.
2. The entire post-credit scene. Such a huge letdown. This entire series is based on “What If…?” so give us a huge post-credit scene that teases something huge for next season and not just Steve in the Hydra Smasher armor. I was completely disappointed in this.
Killmonger putting on the Ultra-vision armor as well as wielding the Infinity Stones, but ultimately him and Zola getting into a tug-of-war with them and the two being trapped by Doctor Strange. I would have loved Killmonger to use the stones for something.
Doctor Strange deserves it in my opinion. He was absolutely key in this episode. The only true one that was even powerful enough to take on Ultra-vision. him utilizing the mystical creatures to hurt Ultra-vision was amazing.
Overall a really solid finale that connected every single episode from the first season. Not the worst but definitely not the best episode. The story was satisfying, and the action was absolutely superb. The visuals in the action sequences were great but the post-credit scene was a letdown. I loved each unique character that appeared in the first season.
Photo: What If…? Season 1 Episode 9 “What If… The Watcher Broke His Oath”.